The discussion has moved over to Discord

Home Forums Community Hijinks and Random Stuff The Last Word — new concept album!

RSS Feed
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Haunted ParraspHaunted Parrasp
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 31
    Replies: 428

An epic story about what happens in a universe where reality means nothing anymore.
    The world has become a dream, and though it’s all most of us can do just to survive in it, there are a few with ambitions for more… either to spite the world-dream or to control it.

But when reality has become entirely subjective, who can say which is which?

So I thought to myself, “what’s the best day of the year to put out a bunch of songs whose tags will only show the release year?” The answer is obviously the day when that release year is almost, but not quite, entirely wrong. 😀 Especially for a collection of songs entirely about the subjectivity of objective reality.
    Was going to put it out at 11:59 pm but I can’t guarantee I’d be here to do it. And bancamp doesn’t let you automate that. 11:55 am will have to do. 🙂
    https://vertigofox.bandcamp.com/album/the-last-word

This is a bit of a new thing for me because it’s my first major release where I actually played a significant portion of the guitar myself. And I did a few less-than-usual things in terms of playing it in some cases. I still have only acoustics but, they give you a very gritty industrial sound when you distort them so I won’t complain.
    There are some lyrical hints that the album takes place in the SCP Foundation universe, but that, just like the release year, is entirely subjective.

If you want to know my personal favourite tracks, well, I’m not good at favourites. But if I was I’d have to say After Dark, Dreamcatcher, Griffon Heart, and Figment are certainly up there if you want to skip around instead of listening through. Though I’m contractually obligated by the fact this is a concept album to urge you to listen through. 😛

Ship’s cat, MPSV Iberia
    Check out his original music @ http://vertigofox.bandcamp.com/

visionvision
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 3
    Replies: 38

The mixing makes is sound like my speakers are out of phase and it feels like it was mixed on headphones and not nearfields.

Kickstarter Backer

Nope, it was mixed on speakers. Not the most expensive around but they have always gotten the job done well before. Headphones were only used when I was recording audio parts (vocals, guitars), to avoid unwanted feedback, never on the final mix.

I don’t hear any phase or sync problems like that on any of the systems I’ve tested it on (mixing speakers, stereo, car). There is some panning going on certain instruments but that’s not what you’re describing, is it?

Ship’s cat, MPSV Iberia

visionvision
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 3
    Replies: 38

I guess it’s just the unique panning and harsh instrumentation, but I couldn’t get through the whole album. Some of the songs were catchy, but I was too distracted by the sound quality. Admittedly, I don’t listen to industrial music, so I’m sure it’s pretty good!

Kickstarter Backer

I did go for an especially harsh and distorted sound for a lot of it because it is a very dark story. It’s definitely not your average rock music.
    Jerry Berlongieri’s Alter Echo OST was a big influence too for that dreamy alien sound, especially on the songs that were written later in the process and that OST is strange-sounding even to me.

Ship’s cat, MPSV Iberia

defconxdefconx
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 17
    Replies: 70

I thought it sounded really amazing on my KOSS headset. I love this album.

But I like listening to harsh and/or vaguely challenging music like Tuxedomoon, The Residents, haujobb (which my family once described, with annoyance, as like being “inside” a dentist drill), some noise things and experimental jazz and others.

Next Unread Topic:
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

Forums are currently locked.

Previous Topic: Mouse moves out of fullscreen to second screen Next Topic: Save Games