The discussion has moved over to Discord

Home Forums Overload Development The REAL Descent!!

RSS Feed

This topic has been reported for inappropriate content

Tagged: , ,

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 86 total)
  • Author
    Blarney77Blarney77
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 3
    Replies: 18

I am REALLY pumped now, but wary, I have to tell you. Last Spring I was all pumped when I heard about D:U, but I am NOT a big Multiplayer fan. I love Descent, and Do play multiplayer at times, but mostly for the single player experience. D1,2,3, and Looking forward now to Overload.
    D:U has disappointed me bigtime as a backer for the basic reason of pretty much ignoring single player and glossing it over. If you guys are really focusing on the single player experience, I will even bump up my pledge to something much larger. I have pledged already, but I feel I have been burned once, kinda hesitant to go at it again. It looks like you guys have the REAL Descent game building here. It’s what I have been waiting for these past 12-15 years as D3 was a little bit disappointing. Just didn’t feel like “Descent”!
    Looking forward to see what you guys can do with all the extensive graphics possibilities these days. Really excited when a good friend dropped me a link to your kickstarter and watched the video and cheered! YOU created Descent… YOU should be the main guys doing the re-creation!
    Love the idea of the warped cube system, but will it be possible, do you think, to actually IMPORT those old D2 levels, (I built quite a few myself and I and others still play them through Rebirth). Would LOVE to be able to use some older levels as a base for new stuff! BUILDING Descent levels as almost as much fun as playing them!

Looking forward to seeing the new stuff!!
    (Was kinda hoping for Beta access at a lower pledge level though…. Kinda out of my price range!!)

Blarney77… LONG time player and (ALMOST Levels of the World contributor! heh, sent in the wrong version of my level)

Dacien
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 8
    Replies: 106

I have to agree, once it became clear that D:U was focusing on multiplayer first, single-player second, I lost a lot of interest. Apparently they’ve got single-player in the works, but it appears for all intents and purposes to be a multiplayer shooter first and foremost.

Once I saw the single-player-centric focus this project has, I pledged without a second thought. I was gonna probably pledge anyway….

TwoCablesTwoCables
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 118
    Replies: 1474

Descendent Studios is only focusing on MP right now so that they can build their “epic single player campaign” on a PERFECT and FULLY POLISHED foundation. When their game is finished and ready for release (it will be done when it’s done – you can’t hurry an artist when they’re creating a masterpiece), it will come with a 12-level Prologue single-player campaign. Then, over the next 10 years, they will continue developing their game and this includes using the money from sales to make their single player campaign become just as epic as promised.

So, Descent Underground will be a true AAA title, but quality work takes time.

Prepare for Overload…

Hunter
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 6
    Replies: 69

10 years is really a stretch, we’re talking about a shooter not an MMO like EVE online. Their roadmap is unrealistic for such a long term. They should aim to get the final product out of the door after 2-3 years at most and then move onto something else, or additional campaigns if the funding is there. 🙂

TwoCablesTwoCables
    Kickstarter Backer

You misunderstood (or maybe I wasn’t clear enough): in total, they have a 10-year roadmap. The game itself will be released likely by the end of this year. That’s their current estimate. It will have a fully-completed and polished Multiplayer and a 12-level Prologue single-player campaign that is ALSO fully-completed and polished. Then they will use the sales to keep making Descent Underground better and better and better and better, over the period of 9 years (the first year is almost over).

They have EXTREMELY epic and exciting plans with this game. What we will have by the end of this year (if they finish by then) will be the birth of their baby, and it will be freakin’ awesome. It’s already awesome, and it’s still in the proverbial womb. 9 years later, it will be a god-like being. It will have 5 full chapters for the single-player campaign, which is a huge amount of levels (which is why the 12-level SP campaign at the retail release is just a Prologue), and there’s much more that they haven’t even made public yet.

It sounds to me like they are going to raise the bar for what makes a game become a AAA game. I think they will raise it so high that it will be difficult for other titles to compete with its awesomeness.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 3 months ago by TwoCablesTwoCables.

Prepare for Overload…

Hunter
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 6
    Replies: 69

Yes I realize the 10 year plan is after the release of the initial product; but I still think it’s a stretch to expect 10 years of content from D:U. It’s like trying to predict the weather beyond a few days – It’s unrealistic and usually turns out to be an inaccurate estimate. Not that I wouldn’t be happy with that much content, I just can’t see it coming to fruition myself. And it’s yet to be determined how good their SP content will be. Afterall, you can’t expect to fund 10 years of content without seeing the first level. I am not however trying to piss on your bonfire. I also hope both Overload and D:U have a long future. I always hope for the best, but experience with the industry has taught me otherwise 🙂

lukeman3000
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 10
    Replies: 21

Seeing as how Overload’s Kickstarter originally stated that they were focusing solely on SP, I don’t think you have anything to worry about.

TwoCablesTwoCables
    Kickstarter Backer

I’m only telling you what Descendent Studios’ plans are. They have it all written out and planned, but yes, of course it will depend on the success of the game. That’s obvious and it goes without saying.

They have said though that if they could have been given a few million dollars, then they wouldn’t have needed such a long roadmap. What they want to do is very expensive, but all they can do is give us what they can afford to create, and that creation is looking to be finished and in retail stores by the end of this year. Then the sales of that will fund them going forward.

Prepare for Overload…

WhitesharkWhiteshark
    Participant
    Topics: 14
    Replies: 61

Why the hell are people complaining about d:u not concentrating on sp? You need to realize that the game was not ment to be d4, and it still isn’t. It’s ships that fight underground (stfu), remember? Now it’s licensed to try and reboot the franchise, and if nothing else, to be a little ‘descentier’. The fact is they promised sp campaign to get more backers, and yes it can be epic, but it should be clear it’s not their first target in line.

TwoCablesTwoCables
    Kickstarter Backer

I remember Eric and Rob (and Phil) saying that the reason why they’re doing MP first is so that everything that’s needed for SP is fully polished and complete and ready to go. Based on everything they have said since the beginning of their KS, it sounds to me like an epic SP campaign is their ultimate goal and that that’s why the MP must be done first.

Prepare for Overload…

Edward
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 13
    Replies: 38

Honestly I don’t care very much if this game is primarily SP or MP but both is preferred. What sold me was the first few seconds of gameplay footage showing the map style, movement style and the beautiful blue energy weapons.

TwoCablesTwoCables
    Kickstarter Backer

Me too, and the lighting, the movement of the bots, the destruction and explosion of the bots and their apparent AI.

Prepare for Overload…

DarkhorseDarkhorse
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 2
    Replies: 127

That we’ve got each game focussing on a different game mode initially is a plus, I think. Get to try both out in the short term.

karx11erxkarx11erx
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 4
    Replies: 28

As far as I can remember, the D:U team made it clear pretty early that SP was only an option due to financial restraints. They always were honest about that.

@Edward: This, and so very much this. 🙂

• This reply was modified 4 years, 3 months ago by karx11erxkarx11erx.
    TwoCablesTwoCables
    Kickstarter Backer

No, Eric and Rob and Phil have always been very clear that the epic SP campaign has always been planned from day 1, but that the MP side must be finished first before they can create the SP campaign because it will result in the creation of everything that’s needed for the SP campaign. They are referring to things like game mechanics and everything else. They never once said that they simply MIGHT do a single-player campaign or that it’s an “option”. They said that they are working on the MP first due to their desire to have the best SP campaign imaginable, and they are well on their way to achieving that goal.

They thought this out very carefully before they started on it.

Prepare for Overload…

Next Unread Topic:
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 86 total)

Forums are currently locked.

Previous Topic: Control scheme Next Topic: RSS Feed