The discussion has moved over to Discord

Home Forums Overload Development The REAL Descent!!

RSS Feed

This topic has been reported for inappropriate content

Tagged: , ,

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 86 total)
  • Author
    LotharBot
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 133

Not quite — Eric, Rob, and Phil made it clear that they were thinking purely MP, but they responded quickly when they realized that a lot of peoples’ Descent nostalgia was tied up in SP. So they decided that they’d build out SP in stages, based on funding, with the ultimate goal of an epic multi-stage campaign. That decision was made early in the kickstarter.

DarkhorseDarkhorse
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 2
    Replies: 127

I actually hadn’t even looked up D:U gameplay footage until today. They have very nice looking level design.

TwoCablesTwoCables
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 118
    Replies: 1474

Not quite — Eric, Rob, and Phil made it clear that they were thinking purely MP, but they responded quickly when they realized that a lot of peoples’ Descent nostalgia was tied up in SP. So they decided that they’d build out SP in stages, based on funding, with the ultimate goal of an epic multi-stage campaign. That decision was made early in the kickstarter.

Interesting. I saw every video of the KS and I don’t remember them talking about that. All I remember was them talking about was that the reason why they decided to do MP first was so they could create the best SP campaign possible. All I ever remember hearing them say was that an epic SP campaign was always planned from the very beginning.

Prepare for Overload…

Dacien
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 8
    Replies: 106

I don’t see how you could do a Descent remake/reboot and not focus on single player first. All the old-school Descent fans will want that, and all the young guns who don’t remember Descent will have to find your multiplayer shooter when it’s never been easier for it to get lost to the white noise. Multiplayer shooters are probably one of the most saturated genres.

LotharBot
    Kickstarter Backer

I saw every video of the KS and I don’t remember them talking about that. All I remember was them talking about was that the reason why they decided to do MP first was so they could create the best SP campaign possible.

Yes — that’s how they changed the message over time. Early on they were surprised by how many people said they wanted single player, because they hadn’t viewed it as important. Wingman was an old Kali pilot, and the team had played Descent MP on LAN back when they were working on whichever space game it was (Wing Commander?) that they all worked on together. Their original plan was pure MP, and they added SP as a result of community pressure, and over time have emphasized that SP is a longer-term project. (I didn’t get this from KS videos; I got it from discussions with the team on the forums during the first week of the KS, with confirmation from in-person discussions over the summer.)

LotharBot
    Kickstarter Backer

I don’t see how you could do a Descent remake/reboot and not focus on single player first

It wasn’t originally a Descent remake/reboot. It was a Descent-inspired MP arena shooter / semi-MOBA. One of their fans connected them with Interplay just before the KS went live, and they had to retool their message to “reboot” instead of “same general idea” at the last minute when they got the agreement for the Descent name.

SP was a “maybe eventually” part of the original roadmap, which they turned into “OK, we’ll commit to it” because fans really wanted it.

Dacien
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 8
    Replies: 106

That makes a lot more sense. Appealing to the Descent fans would have to be priority #1 in a reboot, but I guess not so much for a game simply “inspired by”.

TwoCablesTwoCables
    Kickstarter Backer

That feels to me like they’ve been lying then because the only message I’ve heard is that the SP campaign was always planned, and like I said, I have seen every single video on their YouTube channel.

Prepare for Overload…

LotharBot
    Kickstarter Backer

That feels to me like they’ve been lying then because the only message I’ve heard is that the SP campaign was always planned

The original plan was “we might do SP if we make enough money”; the revised plan was “since people want SP we’ll make a mini-campaign and then add new episodes if we make enough money”. That decision was made very early in the process. I don’t believe they’ve ever said “we always planned to do SP”, but they have made it clear that they are still planning to do SP every time people ask why they haven’t heard about it (often “we’ve always planned to do MP first and then follow up with SP”.)

TwoCablesTwoCables
    Kickstarter Backer

Huh, well, that lowered my enthusiasm for DU quite a bit and now I’m glad I only paid $14.99 for it. I’m floored that they originally had no plans for a SP campaign. How can you make Descent without an epic SP campaign?

Prepare for Overload…

Quadruplesword
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 10
    Replies: 31

Overload originally had no plans for a multiplayer component, but enough people requested it that they’re going to make one and release it I think 6-8 months after the base game’s release.

But that was something that concerned me when I originally heard about Descent: Underground. Sure, the multiplayer is great fun and will only continue to improve as new ship types and ship customization are added, but most people who play Descent probably remember it for the single player. I’m kind of afraid they’ll treat it as an after thought and we’ll end up with a boring, linear campaign mode that people will finish once and never touch again. But, it’s also far too early to tell, so maybe they’ll surprise us all with an epic campaign mode that we’ll play for years.

TwoCablesTwoCables
    Kickstarter Backer

Overload originally had no plans for a multiplayer component, but enough people requested it that they’re going to make one and release it I think 6-8 months after the base game’s release.

But that was something that concerned me when I originally heard about Descent: Underground. Sure, the multiplayer is great fun and will only continue to improve as new ship types and ship customization are added, but most people who play Descent probably remember it for the single player. I’m kind of afraid they’ll treat it as an after thought and we’ll end up with a boring, linear campaign mode that people will finish once and never touch again. But, it’s also far too early to tell, so maybe they’ll surprise us all with an epic campaign mode that we’ll play for years.

No, they said that they had always believed they would have MP and they even planned to do it. They just didn’t plan to go public with their plans until after they released their game to retail stores. As they said, “We always wanted to have multiplayer and believed we would eventually, but we did not feel comfortable making a public commitment to it. It’s too easy for something like multiplayer to blow up the schedule and adversely affect the single player game. We want to hit our single player date with a great game.”

As for Descent Underground’s SP campaign: they have extremely massive and epic plans for it. They are starting with a 12-level Prologue campaign, and then they will use the money from sales going forward to make their campaign into an enormous and epic 5-chapter campaign. Their roadmap for all development plans is 10 years. They are almost done with the first year.

Prepare for Overload…

Quadruplesword
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 10
    Replies: 31

A 10 year plan seems quite ambitious for such a small studio. I have some doubts they’ll get to see their epic vision through, but they’ve been doing pretty well in the first year. I know they have grandeur visions of what they want the single player campaign to be, but my main concern is that they’ll go for quantity over quality. So that epic 5 chapter campaign will in actuality just be a bunch of short, linear levels without much replay value. But, like I said, it’s too early to tell, and the team seems pretty enthusiastic about the game they’re producing, which is usually a good sign.

TwoCablesTwoCables
    Kickstarter Backer

Small studio, huge community. At the rate they’re going, they will have no problem.

Their #1 priority is the quality and replay of the final product, especially the SP campaign. They have stated before that they want their SP campaign to keep you coming back again and again and again and again, etc. They refuse to make short levels that suck.

Prepare for Overload…

karx11erxkarx11erx
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 4
    Replies: 28

TwoCables,

the D:U team had always prioritized multiplayer. As LotharBot explained, they acknowledged the community’s desire for a singleplayer campaign, but they made it dependent on their budget and have always said that MP would come first.

Get your facts right.

Same goes for Overload’s multiplayer. I think it is pretty obvious that someone like the Overload team would eventually want multiplayer in their game too if things worked out. There’s that big “if” though. The Overload team deliberately left it open whether and when MP would make it into their game.

Looking at what is publicly available about the D:U team’s financial backing, they will have a hard time keeping up a ten year plan and creating a truly epic singleplayer campaign, because that will cost millions and millions Dollars. Go look at Star Citizen and their budget (way over 100 million USD), and people keep saying they still haven’t got enough to complete their game.

You seem to be a bit quick at taking things for given that actually were more of a statement of intent. I am seeing a lot of wishful thinking on your side here, obscuring your clear sight on reality.

QuadrupleSword,

I remember Descent for both single- and multiplayer and also very much for its level editor and the ability to create custom missions for it. It’s all of that that makes it special for me.

Next Unread Topic:
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 86 total)

Forums are currently locked.

Previous Topic: Control scheme Next Topic: RSS Feed