The discussion has moved over to Discord

Home Forums Overload Development The REAL Descent!!

RSS Feed

This topic has been reported for inappropriate content

Tagged: , ,

Viewing 11 posts - 76 through 86 (of 86 total)
  • Author
    hurleybird
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 6
    Replies: 41

Yes, Overload is obviously looking like the better project at this point, and D:U is looking more and more in peril.

The D:U devs do deserve some criticism for the lack of progress, especially given the amount of money raised, but the project isn’t dead yet. If it does come to pass that it is left to rot unfinished after taking so much money, they’ll deserve substantially more.

You certainly can’t blame the D:U devs for snapping up the Descent name when they were offered it though. Who here wouldn’t have taken Interplay up on that if they were in the same position? I know I certainly would have. In a heartbeat.

Interplay, of course, is the one to blame for mismanaging their share of the IP in the first place, and probably for childish and vindictive reasons at that. Especially given that they control so little else of the IP which leaves us fans with a game that is Descent in name and not much else, as well as a game that is Descent in basically everything but name and surrounding lore. Neither game is truly 100% Descent, and that’s the real tragedy.

Haunted ParraspHaunted Parrasp
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 31
    Replies: 428

But overload is pretty darn good for a consolation prize. 😛

Ship’s cat, MPSV Iberia
    Check out his original music @ http://vertigofox.bandcamp.com/

hurleybird
    Kickstarter Backer
    Replies: 41

That it is 🙂

defconxdefconx
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 17
    Replies: 70

Wow, now I am embarrassed for reading this. I think D:U is really awesome and refreshing. And the blokes behind it are so open you get their human side. Most studios are pretty shy about that. Feel like I walked in on the wrong corner of the 6dof party here but …

Well in the interest of the actual topic, there are a few things I would say Overload needs some serious help with and that would make the game more enjoyable for me. But it is really nit-picky because I have my own experiences for each Descent iteration and the spin-offs and knock-offs. (Like the wise “Star Trek” comment, some people really love Forsaken and hate Descent. I guess that would be like the person who says, ‘Star Trek sucks, give me Andromeda!’ (Or Lexx anyone? Anyone?) ) Funny to me.

I want to keep it pretty simple, because to me Overload is very much not “the real Descent” but something else entirely. Actually superior to the classic Descent games in the end. Based on the experiences of a core team that has reinvented the same game two or three times already. And doing it again with even more experience than ever before.

Well what is missing for me in this “remix”? A lot. Personally.

It’s executed professionally. It’s slick as bleep. Natural to fly. And I will play it from start to finish several times and give it five star reviews everywhere I see a chance to do so.

So everything I say is just impressions. Please take it as sub-conscious musings and feelings and nothing more. It’s not deep. It’s a casual response to a video game when I ask myself, “What might draw my friends into something like this that ordinarily wouldn’t interest them?”

Nit-picky stuff is all over this forum. It’s crazy, and interesting. And it’s its own unique community for sure. But in the interest of distilling “the real Descent” into what that phrase means to me, which is actually more like “a real fun game that grows on you and gives you a memorable sense of accomplishment and arms you with spatial skills that are probably not applicable to real life but super fun nevertheless” … maybe it would be helpful to put it all in one place. I know a lot of this is mentioned elsewhere. But just making a summary, please don’t hate me.

I don’t like the A.I. in Overload. Everything seems to just “come at me” and engage me in combat with expert awareness. I’d like more chances to sneak up on enemies, which only happens once in a while in Overload. I’d like to feel smarter than them instead of just faster or better equipped. Shooting dumb bots with annoying “cheats” (skills I can’t get) is more fun to me than besting a crafty bot that is almost like me. I think of it like Mario. It’s much more fun to squash a crazy koopa or ten than go against a Hammer Bros. all the time. There is that one bot that tries to snipe you now and runs away. Fires at you while backing up. That’s kind of interesting. Maybe the most interesting variety compared with all the others. I like the fun idea of the saw blade guy but I don’t actually like to fight it. It’s exhausting rather than enjoyable. Not deeply. I mean, it’s easy enough. I just wouldn’t put her/him/it in every level.

The way the bots orient to face me is too omniscient. I just don’t feel I’m crashing a robot scene. I feel like I’m ineffectually fighting an army. They are not individual enough and they are too coordinated.

The explosions are too slow. There is a bit of the D3 feeling I didn’t like, which is that robots are like “Oh I’m exploding now” and then you have to patiently wait for that animation to play. I’d rather have the occasional pinata pop and boom in addition to a normal explosion. The spinning out of control type death should happen once every 50 bots, not as often as it does now. And when it does do the spin death there should be some other element to its difference. Maybe I can play with it like a ball while it’s spinning out of control. Shoot at it to cause more havoc. Again I think of Mario. Grab the shell and throw it. Not just a random new animation.

The game is over all very concentrated on visuals but the visuals are so synced it’s dull. The ship is like a microwave interface. Straight lines. Glowing boxes of weapons. I want my big 3D graphics of the damage I am throwing at them. I want to see the weapon on my HUD in full color, rotating like a power up or something else fascinating. Conceptually switching weapons is otherwise just changing the projectile and that’s fun but also … not. Where is the “little kid” aspect of the game? Feels too “grown up” somehow in this way. Like I’m a weapons accountant instead of a crazy fucker playing with a box of grenades and flame throwers and … that reminds me, where is the flame thrower? D3 may have had to balance weapons but it sure didn’t have a lack of creativity about them. Okay, actually all the weapons have their own “feel” and purpose. That’s really expertly done. Just sometimes feels too serious and not fun. Where is my particle beam weapon from Freespace, just frying everything that I’m pointing to? Not hurting the bots much (for balance’s sake) but making them dodge out of the way! Acting afraid! Okay, sorry enough about weapons. The weapons are great. Just impressions, remember. Thoughts.

Actually back to the A.I. can the bots act a little more curious? Quirky? Have individual personality code randomly thrown in? Less like moving targets? Can there be random crates and lights and things to explode? The occasional harmless bot like from D3, just sweeping up?

The levels are so office-like. Not “twisty” as mentioned by someone earlier. I don’t feel like these things are built ad hoc or playfully. D3 had some wacky cliffs and structures. Yes we can dig at them for the difficulty of so much open space, and maybe that wasn’t fun but it looked so creative. Unearthly. Can we get some procedurally generated maps maybe? Room to tunnel section to room? That doesn’t seem as important, though, as the idea that there should be more variety. Twists. Not so much logic. The textures are well put together but there isn’t a sense you are causing much havoc or in an environment that needs your variety of fun chaos to rearrange their robo faces. Combined with the sterile robot behavior, the plain walls, it feels like Tron. It doesn’t even produce the illusion of malleability like those psychedelic textures from D1 (okay those would be inappropriate now, but isn’t there a more imaginative way of integrating such imaginative bursts instead of just saying it doesn’t belong?). It’s more like the sad feeling I get as a kid going to a ball pit. There are lots of things to do and it’s all kind of same-y. Not like a fun playground with so many different things. Just a lot of slogging.

The colors of the bots are not playful. D1 and D2 had these bright colors that made the bots more like dangerous critters. These bots are architecturally beautiful, like you want a model of them on your desk, but they are harder to distinguish and/or remember which character belongs to which bot. The originals were like — oh, yeah a screaming pig faced goomba with a machine gun. Right. Spider with an octopus mouth. Got it. Very creative and alien.

These bots feel so organized. So samey.

And returning once more to the theme of being a lone fighter against a super organized army, (in their super elite super organized locked down prison camp) it is kind of Kafka-esque for an action game. It just doesn’t feel like a wild “fight” as much as a 3D version of a WWE wrestling match. Okay, this is my move. That’s your move. La da-da, da da. I don’t know how to describe this feeling. It’s not as surprising as the original. Man, it seems like there are just tons of the same bot over and over. Variety really does count. I would love ten more bots with low poly count instead of 1 more bot with an animated spinning death throe. So that priority on designing high poly modular bots, for me, is a mistake. How about a super intelligent cube? How about a bowling pin-shaped evil robot face with an energy propellor? The original games felt like they weren’t afraid to go there. This game feels like the opposite of your Saint’s Row games. “Let’s make it all feel very organized and the same” like some form of meditation rather than fun chaos.

The keys, already mentioned, are like steering wheels. I would change that. I know how “logical” it is. I think the game needs less Spock and more Kirk right now.

Finally, and the most important thing, I want story. I really do. I am sorry. For me, that is what games are about. Story and imagination. Overload has neither. Descent had a little story and loads of imagination.

I would just like some preliminary prologue like the shareware version of Descent 1. The fact that there is no story now and that it’s only coming later some time makes it seem like an after thought. I would like just some 90’s screens or scrolling text with bumpin music. Anything. I have no motivation to risk my sanity in a virtual world until I am fighting for something right. Justice. Kill evil programs and systems. My own survival in a dystopic future (like the MD). Something.

It used to be this basic understanding in games, I feel. You do a classic “to be continued” to get people into it. That is enough of a hook. It always works. You let on to the greater story. You at least let on that you HAVE such a story, even if the elements don’t all get used. It always leaves us hanging and wanting more. Right now I don’t want to play because I don’t know what I’m fighting for. And yes, if I am fighting with or for bad people it really does affect my enjoyment of a game. D3 finally rewarded us after two games of working for bad folks, and it was rewarding. It really was. I want to be Luke Skywalker or Han Solo or The Bride or the bladerunner Deckard that might actually be a replicant questioning his identity, or hell, even some plucky enterprising plumber. But not nobody. Or “yourself”.

Also, the Levels of the World was a cool idea, but is there any way at all to officially integrate fan levels? I mean it’s the Internet now. Make some kind of way for fans to build the game and have everyone try it and have it work with the universe. Just look at what has changed over the years. The old level of hermit-ness in the game industry seems archaic compared to such social mediums as gaming today. What if there were some way, I don’t know how, of making the fan levels “official” like part of the story?

Like when D3 let you have your picture in the game under certain pilot names. Nods to the fans like that. These days you could do that to the Nth degree and make it so social it would be its own virtual city. Look at experiments like Second Life and Project Sansar and Minecraft. Well, maybe more Minecraft.

I don’t care if any of this changes. I like the game and I’m not building it and I don’t want to be a spoiled gamer operating on vitriol or unsportsly demeaning. (Thank goodness the Descent community is weirdly one of the most mature of gamer communities one can encounter on the Internet!)

I just hope Revival has some of the vision to reach a modern level of playfulness and fun and not get too obsessed with making the perfect Rubik’s cube. And another part of me just wishes they ignore everything I say, entirely, and just make whatever the fuck they are making because it looks awesome and it will probably shape up to be whatever it needs to be. My two bags of cents for now. 😛

foghorn2foghorn2
    Participant
    Replies: 115

Good read above. Overload is excellent, it will never replace Descent 2 though.
    The modern looking graphics will appeal to new players and new comers (like my son) but for me Descent 2 played with Re-birth is more appealing. The choppy colorful backgrounds are actually better for a game like this because its out of the way but yet enlightens the atmosphere of the game. Probably why Minecraft is so popular. Sometimes when I watch my son play minecraft, I imagine a Descent mini-game within it!

I miss the bot and the hostages and the overall theme of Descent 2.

Then again I’m the type of person who would choose to listen to Vinyl over a digital copy. Old stuff is always better.

bemosabemosa
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 39
    Replies: 240

I’d like more chances to sneak up on enemies, which only happens once in a while in Overload.. I just don’t feel I’m crashing a robot scene. I feel like I’m ineffectually fighting an army.

I feel this at times too, soooo many bots.. although I think advanced players would feel the game is too simple if there were fewer bots. The game definitely has some nice ‘sniper’ playing styles (not sure how to describe that) – but at times I do feel like there are just sooooo many bots. The Forsaken title had sparse bots that dealt more damage, if I recall correctly – and I did enjoy that.. I remember enjoying creeping around corners and sniping from a distance, a slower pace than dealing with hordes of bots.

The explosions are too slow.

Disagree on this one! I love the satisfaction of watching the death rolls, they never grow old.

The ship is like a microwave interface. Straight lines. Glowing boxes of weapons. .. I want to see the weapon on my HUD in full color, rotating like a power up or something else fascinating.

I do agree on this point (sans rotation). However I also want to say that the D:U ships are the opposite – too many bells and whistles, thus the overall design has become messy. I’d like something in between (perhaps for Overload 2?) 🙂

Can there be random crates and lights and things to explode? The occasional harmless bot like from D3, just sweeping up?

This has been discussed in another thread recently. I like the idea, especially for that ‘sniper’ playing style – things like an explosive item that you can shoot from a distance to knock out a horde of bots could be very satisfying.

The levels are so office-like. Not “twisty” as mentioned by someone earlier. I don’t feel like these things are built ad hoc or playfully.

The levels keep getting better with every drop. I think what Revival have built is a solid underlying development kit, and we will see in time people push the level design to its limits (either the devs or the public with their own designs) – it is much easier to add ‘bells and whistles’ – in geometry and design – at a later date, imho.

These bots feel so organized. So samey.

I am in two minds on this one. I see where you are coming from, but I have come to not see it as a big deal. At least there is consistency of style which is also important. Also don’t forget we are yet to see the bosses 🙂

The keys, already mentioned, are like steering wheels. I would change that. I know how “logical” it is. I think the game needs less Spock and more Kirk right now.

Not a big deal for me, I like the key design.

The fact that there is no story now and that it’s only coming later some time makes it seem like an after thought.

Don’t agree on this. The team is intentionally keeping the story a secret, and I agree with that, early access can spoil a game for you if too much is given away. I can’t wait to see what the team has cooked up for the story!

Make some kind of way for fans to build the game and have everyone try it and have it work with the universe.

I prefer that, similar to the originals, the game is made entirely by the devs and then users can make their own levels post release. That way we get to see the full vision of the team 🙂

I don’t care if any of this changes. I like the game and I’m not building it and I don’t want to be a spoiled gamer operating on vitriol or unsportsly demeaning. (Thank goodness the Descent community is weirdly one of the most mature of gamer communities one can encounter on the Internet!)

Agreed!

I just hope Revival has some of the vision to reach a modern level of playfulness and fun and not get too obsessed with making the perfect Rubik’s cube.

As mentioned earlier, one perspective I have on this is that it is easy to add fun and playfulness at a later date if a solid core has been developed. One thing that D:U suffers from (at least for my tastes) is that there are too many ‘fun features’ to the point that the game has lost integrity. From my perspective, it is preferable to add fun features to a rubik’s cube than it is to refine a mess of features back to a rubik’s cube 🙂

Haunted ParraspHaunted Parrasp
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 31
    Replies: 428

You guys know you can shoot the robots when they’re in their death rolls once or twice and make them explode faster?
    Useful in CM when you need those powerups faster. 😀

As for D:U …well, when I do have that multiplayer itch it’s still the game I want to play. I just don’t have that itch too often.

Ship’s cat, MPSV Iberia
    Check out his original music @ http://vertigofox.bandcamp.com/

PersonicusPersonicus
    Participant
    Replies: 35

Reading through this thread, in particular the WOT above, has been quite a revelation in terms of finally comprehending what it is about Overload that is so appealing and compelling to me.

I very briefly tried out all of the popular 6DOF titles of the 90’s (D1/D2/D3, Forsaken, etc), but never really warmed up to any of them and quite frankly, didn’t like them much at all (too preoccupied with ID games).

I’ve tried out some of the newer 6DOF titles of the current era (D:U, Sublevel Zero), read reviews and watched videos on others that I haven’t personally indulged in, and haven’t warmed up to any of those either, and again, don’t much care for them – there’s something missing !

So what magical component (or components) is it that Overload manages to mix into its recipe that keeps me coming back for more ?

1) For someone who wasn’t turned on by any 6DOF title, Overload is accessible, and it works flawlessly – simple and minimal settings/config menus, as well as pitch-perfect controls, that allow a broader base of players to saddle up and get going – especially for non-veteran/elite players !

2) The ambience and art style is very reminiscent of Quake 1 – quite dark, ominous and very much the opposite of D1/D2 which seem too flamboyantly jolly for my taste !

3) Overload’s gameplay is visceral, much in the same way that Quake 1 was – unadulterated and foregoing any unnecessary “kitsch” (No, I wouldn’t want my aimbot to sound like R2D2 thank you very much !!).

Because Overload is not Descent, is accessible, visceral, unadulterated and avoiding “kitsch”, full of ambience, is the overall reason that I was hooked on first (demo) play!

rapturraptur
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 29
    Replies: 134

You guys know you can shoot the robots when they’re in their death rolls once or twice and make them explode faster?
    Useful in CM when you need those powerups faster.

and if you really need to pick up the powerup fast, use a smash attack 😀

Blarney77Blarney77
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 3
    Replies: 18

……Lemme say… this IS Descent! It is NOT a remake of D2! D3 was much different than D2 and it FELT different. As a player of D1, D2, & D3 as brand new games (YES I was playing Doom II and Quake II at the same time…) This is VERY VERY MUCH in the Descent Spirit! I have seen several posts here bashing the game for not being finished…. when… it’s NOT FINISHED!
    Come on Guys…. you are treating the DEMO releases as a complete full game? Do you understand BETA!? Actually more like an Alpha! WAIT for it to be finished and released before you start in on all the things you think are missing… there is a reason for that!

YES, I would like to see more “rock tunnels”, twisty tunnels with more varied TEXTURES. YES it often looks a bit TOO polished! But it’s play SINCE KICKSTARTER is so smooth and well done it boggles.. because “Other Guys” have complained AI is very hard and focus on Multiplayer rather than single player. I’m QUITE sure there will be more interesting Bots… but many new things in the latest Backer Build (0.5 #61) has even MORE cool stuff and Bots. AI is even better, and I used to play Hotshot pretty easy and now I get my butt handed to be if I’m not careful, and that is just the Story Mode. (I am NOT hardcore play everything on Insane) YES I keep up with D:U, and massive lack of progress… and most YouTube videos gush about Overload. AND, we will never get all the things WE THINK Should be in there. But these guys KNOW Descent, and KNOW how to make it make everyone DROOL!
    YOU might not get the latest and greatest updated version… but lemme tell you they are making improvements and changes that make it even better.

ALSO, someone said something about No Hostages? REALLY!? Uh… What do you think is in the Cryo-Pods? No, I don’t think it’s necessary to have several guys in space suits jumping and waving their arms!

If your whole evaluation is based on the Kickstarter Teaser you are being really ridiculous. Several YouTube vids are actually less than impressed playing that Teaser like it’s the finished game. Really Boggles the mind.
    I DO play D1 & D2 still through Rebirth, and they rock. But Overload is about New technology, New Graphics, NEW sounds, but doing a great job of keeping the FEEL of Descent 2!

TwoCablesTwoCables
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 118
    Replies: 1474

Overload is a spiritual successor to Descent 1 and 2 only, but not Descent 3.

If someone is saying it’s a remake of Descent 1 or 2 or 3, then they should be corrected.

Version 0.5 Build 61 isn’t a Backer build. It’s Early Access Drop #5. Anyone can buy it. Version 0.5 Build 61 is the most recent release of Drop #5. It’s not only on the “Beta” channel. If you are on the Beta channel, then you will find that nothing changes when you get off the Beta channel.

The Read Me says what was updated:

* Fixed exception when HoloGuide cannot get to player.
    * Fixed problem with Hunter hitting walls when fired.
    * Fixed problems changing advanced graphics settings.

Overload doesn’t seem to have hostages. As you can see by the signs in the mines, the people were warned/told to go into these Cryotubes in order to be rescued from this dangerous situations of the severe robot malfunctions. So, the people in the Cryotubes seem to have gone into them willingly, exactly as they were warned to do. There’s no evidence that the robots are holding the humans hostage like the robots are doing in Descent. It’s quite different. I like this because doing the same ol’ hostage thing wouldn’t be new or interesting. However, I admit that I wanted (and expected) the classic hostages.

I think it’s a compliment to Revival Productions that people are judging the game as a finished product because that shows just how good these guys are. It indeed feels like a finished product because of how extremely polished and complete it is even though we all know it’s not complete because all know what’s coming.

Prepare for Overload…

Next Unread Topic:
Viewing 11 posts - 76 through 86 (of 86 total)

Forums are currently locked.

Previous Topic: Control scheme Next Topic: RSS Feed