The discussion has moved over to Discord

Home Forums The Archive Overload Early Release Version Comments and Feedback Thoughts on cryopod design

RSS Feed
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    revorevo
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 2
    Replies: 11

It has occurred to me that i’m not exactly the biggest fan of the way cryochambers work at the moment. I think that they’re a bit too static and …lifeless, I guess? In descent you had the cool little miners jumping up and down waving their arms which, while a little goofy and nonsensical, still made it fun to swoop in and scoop them up. I also don’t really like how you basically have to bump into the walls to grab them since it can hurt your momentum, even just a little.

I feel like it would be a bit more aethstically interesting and more in-line with the game’s mechanics if, say, the pods already ejected from their housing and floating in zero g and scattered around the room at random. Or maybe if the pods were suspended around the center of the circular part of the room so you could just cut a clean arc through the corridor and grab them all in a smooth motion it would make them more fun to pick up.

This was just something that popped into my head recently after playing the latest beta maps. I have no idea how ‘locked in’ the current design is or how much work it would take to go back and change things, and if nothing changes it’s not a big deal to me at all, but i think as a simple aesthetic improvement it would be something worth taking another look at. What do you guys think?

TwoCablesTwoCables
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 118
    Replies: 1474

They will be replacing the windows with fairly realistic humans with actual faces from Backers eventually. So, instead of glowing light from the windows, it’ll be clear glass (perhaps with some frost) and a visible human inside.

Considering that the humans were warned by the displays to go into the cryotubes for safety so that someone could come down and transfer them to the base ship (to come down and rescue them), and considering that the robots aren’t holding the humans hostage like the robots are in Descent, it makes good sense that the cryotubes and chambers are as they are.

Perhaps though it would be easier to have hanging cryotubes in the cryochambers so that we could just fly right through them, more or less. Cryotubes don’t really have to be oriented so that a body can lay in them. They can be perfectly upright.

Prepare for Overload…

revorevo
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 2
    Replies: 11

I guess my point isn’t that they seem -literally- lifeless, it’s more that there isn’t much going on there visually. I’m more or less proposing a small tweak that makes the room a bit more interesting and animated, like having the pods drifting in zero-g like powerups (which they are, really) rather than being stuck on the wall like switches.

TwoCablesTwoCables
    Kickstarter Backer

Yeah, I guess the room could use something more. Even after the windows become windows so that we can see the cryogenically-frozen humans, it might not change the room enough. Perhaps the empty cryotube cradles could be emitting sparks or something, like electrical discharges.

Prepare for Overload…

PersonicusPersonicus
    Participant
    Topics: 6
    Replies: 35

Interesting post revo, and initially, I kind of “flew” over the thread (pun intended), but reading your thoughts again, I started to reflect on the “lifeless” aspect of the cryopods that you alluded to. In fact, I started philosophising on why I never got hooked on the SP campaign of D1-D3 and why I currently have minimal interest in Overload’s SP campaign (although I’m hoping for a pleasant surprise). For me, grabbing the inhabitants of the cryopods is indeed very “lifeless” – simply another chore or “achievement”, but there’s no emotional investment attached to the task- why do I even care what’s inside, if anything ? The Descent series (excluding Overload at this point, since the full campaign remains to be seen, although I suspect it won’t break the previous successful formula) was very “sterile”, robotic, and mechanical, again with no emotional investment that I’m aware of. This is why I’m having a blast (pun intended) with Overload’s CM – it’s all about kill-count, period !

But with any SP campaign, I personally would like to have just a smidget of emotional attachment – a sense of accomplishing something more than just grabbing “lifeless” cryopods and racking it up as another accomplishment in the game stats. I would envisage a game feature whereby grabbing the cryopods becomes more of a challenge as well as something to care about:

1) challenge is finding the hidden Cryopod area(s)
    2) upon entering the Cryopod area, the pods are immediately snatched by a quasi-thief bot
    3) next challenge is to hunt the pod-thief and release/rescue the pod inhabitants
    4) failing to rescue the pod inhabitants results in a penalty (perhaps certain pod inhabitants would have been able to grant/provide upgrades for example)

Overload SP is most likely “carved in stone” at this point, so this shouldn’t be considered as a serious suggestion. The Descent series didn’t lend itself to “story-telling” or “character development” or emotional investment on the part of the player, but I thought I’d throw out my thoughts on the “lifeless” aspect that revo brought up regarding the Cryopods. This at least got me thinking about the game in general and why Descent SP never struck a chord with me….and why Overload’s current SP levels haven’t piqued my interest much either (but I may be pleasantly surprised at a later date).

ShroudeyeShroudeye
    Participant
    Topics: 12
    Replies: 84

A little related to the subject, I was wondering what had happened to the guys that didn’t make it to the cryopods, since the levels are quite sterile…

…I’m guessing the robots also clean up their mess afterwards????

PersonicusPersonicus
    Participant
    Topics: 6
    Replies: 35

A little related to the subject, I was wondering what had happened to the guys that didn’t make it to the cryopods, since the levels are quite sterile…

…I’m guessing the robots also clean up their mess afterwards????

They became “stroggified”….

ShroudeyeShroudeye
    Participant
    Topics: 12
    Replies: 84

…Or that.

logge
    Participant
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 5

Cryopods need dry-ice-smoke running down on their surfaces, filling the floor with floating fog. Yay, but my poor little machine has to render that all….

TwoCablesTwoCables
    Kickstarter Backer

Cryopods need dry-ice-smoke running down on their surfaces, filling the floor with floating fog. Yay, but my poor little machine has to render that all….

I think that would require oxygen and gravity.

Prepare for Overload…

Haunted ParraspHaunted Parrasp
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 31
    Replies: 428

Well, the moons of Saturn aren’t exactly small.
    The setting does have a fair amount of gravity. And the moons have a decent amount of pull too, especially Titan.

Ship’s cat, MPSV Iberia
    Check out his original music @ http://vertigofox.bandcamp.com/

YoshimitsuYoshimitsu
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 57
    Replies: 421

I just looked up a video of dry ice in a vacuum and TwoCables is mostly right. In a vacuum dry ice will still evaporate and create fog but with no air pressure it dissipates so fast that it has no time to settle and is nearly invisible.

Now I agree that the cryopods look a little dull but I believe the plan is eventually to have them showing frozen people inside. I’m pretty sure there was a kickstarter reward to have your face on one of the hostages. Being able to see the occupants would be pretty awesome and perhaps a swirl of fog could be inside the pod.

TwoCablesTwoCables
    Kickstarter Backer

Yep, they said the Cryotubes will have windows. That’s what those big lights are on the Cryotubes: placeholders for windows.

Prepare for Overload…

DarkwingDivaDarkwingDiva
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 29
    Replies: 346

I marked it for the proper time. Check it out:

Next Unread Topic:
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

Forums are currently locked.

Previous Topic: Ambient sounds Next Topic: I can't launch any version of Overload via Steam