The discussion has moved over to Discord

Home Forums The Archive Overload Early Release Version Comments and Feedback Thunderbolt damage during red fade-in

RSS Feed
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    YinutYinut
    Participant
    Topics: 10
    Replies: 55

Currently when you charge the Thunderbolt, three things happen.

1) First you have the regular charging
    2) then when you’ve charged for too long, the screen fades into red. The moment the fading starts, you start taking damage.
    3) and then it’s full red and deals continuous damage.

My proposal would be to remove the damage during the fade to full red (second point), so that there is at least a bit of a warning before you start taking damage from overcharging.

YoshimitsuYoshimitsu
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 57
    Replies: 421

Not the first time Overload has had issues with warnings coming too late. I agree that this needs fixing. I wouldn’t even mind too much if the timing of the damage stayed the same but the fade in effect started sooner.

KAHAKAHA
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 5
    Replies: 16

I disagree. Thunderbolt is fine as is. It very powerfull already. In descent 3 multiplayer, alot of people would fly around, always charging fusion to max and shoot “blindshoots” down narrow corridors hoping someone would fly into it, so annoying. Learn to time the shoot instead of wanting more chargetime.

TerminalTerminal
    Participant
    Replies: 18

I agree with Kaha. If you’re worried about taking damage you can boost to cancel it, plus the charging alone doesn’t consume energy until you fire

YoshimitsuYoshimitsu
    Kickstarter Backer

Neither of you is understanding the problem. We aren’t asking for more charge time, just a better visual warning of when self-damage starts.

KAHAKAHA
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 5
    Replies: 16

Well. I guess that depends on how you see it. As I see it, you want a warning so you can charge it to maximum every time without the risk of taking damage.

YoshimitsuYoshimitsu
    Kickstarter Backer

Not exactly. The TB has a bit of time where you can hold the full charge and not take damage. We want a better warning of when that time is over.

I DID suggest in another thread that having that time be longer would be a better upgrade than getting a faster charge for the ++MX version but that’s a different question entirely.

krayzkrokkrayzkrok
    Kickstarter Backer
    Replies: 185

I quite like it as it is. You learn instinctively when the damage will start, so it becomes a case of risk vs reward if you constantly hold it at full charge. With experience you should be able to release it before it starts to fade / take damage. If you get it wrong and take a bit of damage, well… that’s the risk. 🙂

TwoCablesTwoCables
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 118
    Replies: 1474

I quite like it as it is. You learn instinctively when the damage will start, so it becomes a case of risk vs reward if you constantly hold it at full charge. With experience you should be able to release it before it starts to fade / take damage. If you get it wrong and take a bit of damage, well… that’s the risk. 🙂

I wholeheartedly agree, especially since the Thunderbolt is already close to being over-powered.

Prepare for Overload…

birdseyebirdseye
    Participant
    Topics: 6
    Replies: 45

I haven’t noticed any issue.

SiriusSirius
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 9
    Replies: 406

This is one of those “could work either way” things but as far as I see it learning the timing is a skill.

YinutYinut
    Participant
    Replies: 55

Ultimately it’s a small nitpick that comes from the fact that the fade period is confusing, it deals 1 armor damage. It appears as if the damage you’re going to take is ramping up when the red fade happens, but it just starts doing the full damage immediately. There is a disparity between the visual feedback and the damage effect. In Descent it was very clear. Purple screen means charging, yellow means damage. There was no transition and thus no confusion.

Haunted ParraspHaunted Parrasp
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 31
    Replies: 428

I have to say I agree with Kroc and TC here — if the fade is treated as a visual warning before you take damage then there’s no risk.
    In Descent IIRC there was no visual warning before the screen turned yellow and you were already taking damage so the risk was there.

Ship’s cat, MPSV Iberia
    Check out his original music @ http://vertigofox.bandcamp.com/

YoshimitsuYoshimitsu
    Kickstarter Backer

I suppose it’s not really that big of a deal. The damage is minimal and easy to cancel. It just seemed like yet another mistake in the timing of warnings like Invulnerability ending before it’s sound played, or super robots/ambushes spawning and attacking before their sounds played, or golems attacking in silence. It’s a small bit of polish but every bit counts.

Next Unread Topic:
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

Forums are currently locked.

Previous Topic: Is combo bonus really a good thing? Next Topic: Flak damage awarded when it isn't used