The discussion has moved over to Discord

Home Forums Overload Development Trichording

RSS Feed
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 85 total)
  • Author
    Edward
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 13
    Replies: 38

I really don’t like this mechanic, I originally thought it was a bug of some kind, apparently though if a ship had six fixed vector thrusters oriented on the primary movement axes then trichording (using three thrusters at once) is actually the fastest way for a ship to move. So at least trichording appears to obey the laws of physics.

However if I was designing a ship to navigate null G environments and said ship had fixed vector weapons a well as fixed view; then I would want a thruster layout that was optimized for forward and possibly strafing movement. Such a layout would not have any thrusters pointing directly in those directions. Instead the thrusters would be offset from the primary axes of movement to allow for optimum speed and acceleration in those directions.

SiriusSirius
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 9
    Replies: 406

Well… if you’re also designing a ship for combat, not dying becomes important – and quick lateral movement is quite effective in achieving that.

Edward
    Kickstarter Backer

Yes, isn’t that what I’m saying?

MAKAsaurusFLEX
    Participant
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 21

Triple chording separated the expert pilot from the nov. At least that’s what my experience was climbing Case’s ladder back in the mid 90’s.

YoshimitsuYoshimitsu
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 57
    Replies: 421

As a longtime noncompetative (mostly singleplayer) pilot, I really want trichording to be in Overload. True it’s not that important in Descent’s singleplayer in terms of being able to beat the game, but I’ve played 6dof games that don’t have it namely Into Cerberon and earlier builds of Descent: Underground. Even though I’m no expert at using it in combat I found that I missed it terribly. I wasn’t even conscious that it was specifically missing The ships just felt sluggish, ungainly, and just plain un-fun to fly.

For me Trichording is about the feel it adds to the flying of the ship not about speed advantage or advanced tactics. The game just seems wrong without it and the lack keeps me from really wanting to play.

WhitesharkWhiteshark
    Participant
    Topics: 14
    Replies: 61

No you wouldn’t change the layout. Remember you use 3 times the fuel for less than twice the thrust. It doesn’t matter in a game without fuel, but then again a game is a game.

Edward
    Kickstarter Backer

Or you lower the throttle and get the same thrust for the same amount of fuel?

SiriusSirius
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 9
    Replies: 406

Well, if the thruster isn’t pointing directly sideways, you’re going to be slower in that direction (especially if you want to go directly sideways – you have to have enough opposing thrust then too)… which is a problem when you have a homing missile bearing down on you.

I mean, since we’re theory-crafting anyway. 🙂

Edward
    Kickstarter Backer

The thruster locations would be optimized for maximum speed when travelling forward and sideways instead of the original design which was not optimized for anything.

TwoCablesTwoCables
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 118
    Replies: 1474

I’d like to answer this once and for all: Trichording will be in Overload, and bichording will too.

Prepare for Overload…

LotharBot
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 133

Realism is a secondary consideration.

The primary consideration: Trichording is a good game mechanic. It creates a tradeoff between speed and orientation. It means you have to constantly re-evaluate — is it important for me to be moving at maximum speed, or presenting maximum threat, or something in between?

TwoCablesTwoCables
    Kickstarter Backer

I just remembered something thanks to your post LotharBot: they said that we won’t really need or care much about bichording and trichording due to the afterburner they will have and the way it works.

Prepare for Overload…

YoshimitsuYoshimitsu
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 57
    Replies: 421

That your weapons are disabled while afterburning? That actually makes a stronger case to keep trichording in because you would be able to get a speed boost and fire at the same time…

TwoCablesTwoCables
    Kickstarter Backer

What? How can you trichord and fire at the enemy at the same time? Trichording keeps you pointed away from the direction in which you’re flying.

Why would you be firing and using the afterburner at the same time anyway?

Prepare for Overload…

Haunted ParraspHaunted Parrasp
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 31
    Replies: 428

Triple chording separated the expert pilot from the nov. At least that’s what my experience was climbing Case’s ladder back in the mid 90’s.

That only makes it a thing. I don’t see how it’s a good thing.

To be fair I don’t want to be anti-trichord, I’m actually ok with the mechanic although I’ve never needed to use it much. Its a de(s)cent mechanic that gets overrated by collective nostalgia.
    I remember Talon (you know, that game we never talk about any more for some reason) had an interesting idea with being able to turn it on or off, and it was balanced in a way where it would just come down to what play style you like… I never exactly figured out how that was though.

Ship’s cat, MPSV Iberia
    Check out his original music @ http://vertigofox.bandcamp.com/

Next Unread Topic:
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 85 total)

Forums are currently locked.

Previous Topic: Forum Options Next Topic: Microgravity, Zero G, Freefall, weightlessness and Null G