Home Forums Overload Multiplayer Trying to setup a LAN server or Private game…

RSS Feed

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Mick 11 Apr 2019 @ 6:47pm.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Mick
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 2
    Replies: 3

Love the feeling and graphics of Overload. Really really want to have some dedicated servers running.

I tried to setup a dedicated Overload server box to host both public and LAN games.

Appearently it is not possible to have a dedicated server LAN server running without *also* have somebody to play on that same box? Is that correct? Because that isn’t exactly a dedicated server to me.

The reason we keep playing D3 for so long is because it is so easy to setup one or more dedicated D3 servers and people can join games anytime. It was and still is great fun – especially at LAN parties where people don’t always care to wait for other players before joining some onslaught in Indika 5 🙂

I also have an issues with the Private MP game option. As I understand this should work sort of like a LAN game with a password? Lag will be higher of course but I’m more concerned about the future where the match servers might no longer be active… no match-making server => no online games.

But then again.. I can’t even make a Private game work from the box I’m trying to setup. It is probably me doing something wrong but I spent 4 hours now and it annoys me. When trying to create the Private game and click ‘Create’ I keep getting the message “Match request failed” every few seconds at the top.

I have disable the firewall and other apps Internet access works just fine. I have tried changing options, password etc. – still getting that message. Then tried another box on the same network and had no issues setting up Private game – but my first box can’t see that game at all (tested with both complex and simple passwords).

Do anybody have a solution for the message “Match request failed”?
    Or some suggestions on what I can do to solve it?

I have lots of experience with network and PCs but I’m getting older so I might just be temporarily stupid today 🙂

Wonder if we’ll ever get a real standalone dedicated Overload server. Earlier today I also setup a dedicated D3 server which – including D3 installation – took just 10 minutes to configure + start the first 2 dedicated server instances 🙂

I was a backer from the very beginning and think I’ve invested in some 4-5 copies of Overload in all (to myself and family). I would have paid some more $$$ if the MP section was a bit more… shall we say flexible compared to the past 🙂 ?

PuDLeZ
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 7

Hi,

You can certainly have a server running and no have a client on the same thing box/machine. There is a small problem though that the dedicated server for Overload was designed for lan games only. Thankfully, Arne (a community member) made some code that will let you host and connect to a remote server by using the IP as the lan server password. You can find it at https://github.com/arbruijn/olproxy/ and there’s also Windows builds of it under the release tab. Just be aware that you will need to forward ports if you plan on hosting your own server and connecting to it from outside of your lan/home network.

Roncli (another community member) has even setup a bunch of Azure servers that we can use with custom multiplayer maps!

If you have any questions regarding the usage of olproxy, please join the Overload Discord Server (button on the top right of the website and in the game) and ask questions in the #multiplayer channel. You can also stop on by just to say hi! 🙂

P.S. We also have a team league that Roncli created if you like to join! We can always have more pilots and/or teams!

Mick
    Kickstarter Backer

Thanks (a lot)!

I’ve now managed to setup my Overload server using olproxy and your tips. Very simple to use 🙂

Only 2 question at this moment:

– Any way to setup min/max players? I have to set 1 player max in order to test the server and I presume I need to set to max 3 players for a 3 players (and then they all have to join before the game will start)?

– Since olproxy uses the password to retrieve the IP address then everybody who knows the password can join I suppose. I have an idea how this might be solved. So I might join the Overload Discord channel later to see if my idea has already been realized in real life by somebody else 🙂

PuDLeZ
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 7

Yeah, you can set the max players to whatever you want, if it’s anything greater than 1, you will need to wait until a 2nd person joins before you can start/get into the lobby regardless of the max player size you set.

Yep, anyone that knows the IP could join the match. I see there’s talk on discord about enabling a password so I’m going to assume that you’re a part of the convo. 🙂 Though, people would have to try to join while the match is forming to get it, there’s no in progress join yet (not sure if a future mod can enable this so I’m going to assume no). once the match is in progress, someone trying to join gets redirected to a new match (if someone created a new match).

Mick
    Kickstarter Backer

Thanks for clarifying. Now I think I have the “greater picture”. I’m almost done setting up my new server. In a few days I’ll have 2 servers available for either Overload or Descent 3 games. When I’m satisfied with my setup (both servers and Overload joystick/keyboard configuration) I’m going to consider making it public available for the community. As game Overload is what I’ve been waiting for since Descent 3 and we need more players 🙂

Next Unread Topic:
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Previous Topic: PS4 Pro Next Topic: Heavy VR flickering with flares and some lights