The discussion has moved over to Discord

Home Forums Overload Single Player Campaign Update add ons

RSS Feed

This topic contains 9 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by TwoCables TwoCables 10 Feb 2019 @ 1:52pm.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    shoku
    shoku
    Participant
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 4

Are there plans to add a rear view camera in the cockpit?

Hunter
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 6
    Replies: 69

A rear view in the cockpit is not possible (or practical) in Unity, so I’ve heard.

TwoCables
    TwoCables
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 118
    Replies: 1474

No.

They said it’s possible to do, but that they decided against it due to the work involved and the time it would take. I distinctly remember a video interview of them saying that when you add picture-in-picture type of rear-view, you significantly decrease performance and it becomes quite a bit of work to optimize it. I think they also said something about it being more challenging in Unity, but now I’m just walking in foggy memory territory.

They said maybe in Overload 2 if they do a sequel because then they could put it on the roadmap.

Edit: Yeah, I’m still here. hehe 🙂

Prepare for Overload…

Haunted Parrasp
    Haunted Parrasp
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 31
    Replies: 428

Hey, TC. I been missing you.
    And yes I recall them saying that getting it to work at a decent framerate would have been the biggest problem. Unity’s big mysterious problem with it might just be that it tends to be badly optimized in general.

Ship’s cat, MPSV Iberia
    Check out his original music @ http://vertigofox.bandcamp.com/

Haunted Parrasp
    Haunted Parrasp
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 31
    Replies: 428

Hey TC. I been missing you!

Yeah I do recall them saying that getting it to work at decent framerates would have been the biggest issue. Unity’s big mysterious problem with it could have just been that the engine tends to be badly optimized to start with.

Personally I don’t miss it.

Ekk, sorry for the double post.

Ship’s cat, MPSV Iberia
    Check out his original music @ http://vertigofox.bandcamp.com/

TwoCables
    TwoCables
    Kickstarter Backer

It seems this forum takes a loonnnggg time for posts to get completely submitted. So, just submit and trust that it will appear eventually.

Yeah, shoku, with the fact that 100% of the HUD is holographic (take notice that there are no physical HUD elements whatsoever in the cockpit), it wouldn’t make sense. It would have to be a physical display in the cockpit, and that would be inconsistent and incongruous. It would just look all wrong.

Besides, it would be very demanding on your system because your system would always have to simultaneously render the world behind you as well as in front of you – so you’d be rendering twice as much of the world at all times. Right now, Overload is only rendering what’s in front of you and just “remembering” the rest. It’s not like the old days where there was much less to render in the first place. It was much less computationally expensive to have a PiP rear view in the cockpit (and it was tiny if you recall). The game was already extremely low-res. With Overload, it would be a huge performance hit.

Besides, it’s WAY too late for this now. Matt Toschlog recently stated that Revival Productions is pretty much disbanded. Sales were “disappointing”, and so they are just done. Everyone has moved on. There’s no chance for a sequel now, and there’s no longer any hope for any other games from this team as well. The only work they will do on Overload now is any new bug fixes, if any come up that haven’t been found yet.

Prepare for Overload…

shoku
    shoku
    Participant

Besides, it’s WAY too late for this now. Matt Toschlog recently stated that Revival Productions is pretty much disbanded. Sales were “disappointing”, and so they are just done. Everyone has moved on. There’s no chance for a sequel now, and there’s no longer any hope for any other games from this team as well. The only work they will do on Overload now is any new bug fixes, if any come up that haven’t been found yet.

That’s too bad. I was thinking of making some levels, but if the interest isn’t there, why bother.

TwoCables
    TwoCables
    Kickstarter Backer

That’s too bad. I was thinking of making some levels, but if the interest isn’t there, why bother.

Who said anything about a lack of interest from the community?

Prepare for Overload…

shoku
    shoku
    Participant

“Sales were “disappointing”, and so they are just done. Everyone has moved on.”

This doesn’t happen unless there is a lack of interest.

TwoCables
    TwoCables
    Kickstarter Backer

“Sales were “disappointing”, and so they are just done. Everyone has moved on.”
    This doesn’t happen unless there is a lack of interest.

Everyone at Revival Productions has moved on. I was only talking about Revival Productions that whole time.

Prepare for Overload…

Next Unread Topic:
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

Forums are currently locked.

Previous Topic: VR – Vive Pro (Wireless), Xbox Controller, and Steam Next Topic: Has Mike Kulas left Revival for Volition? What is the future for Revival?