Home Forums Bug Reports for Full Game Vulpecular needs optimization

RSS Feed

This topic contains 8 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Haunted Parrasp Haunted Parrasp 11 May 2019 @ 11:54am.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    TwoCables
    TwoCables
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 118
    Replies: 1474

I recently started playing again. The last time I played was with build 1854. I upgraded straight from build 1854 to 1880.

For the first time ever, I’m having major performance issues. It’s only happening in Vulpecular in the rooms that have a Core (and the room with 2 cores). It seems it’s made worse by all the teleporting the robots do during a fight. To be clear, I don’t mean the use of the Portals. Once I get rid of all the robots in the area, performance goes back to being butter-smooth.

It’s so bad that Vulpecular is unplayable for me, which means that if this is never fixed, I’ll be done with Overload for good because I’m just not into Multiplayer. Challenge Mode is ok, but I only play Challenge Mode for variety so that I’m not only playing the SP campaign. So, if this is never fixed, the only thing I’ll be able to do is play Challenge Mode. I think. I haven’t tested it yet.

I reported this via e-mail to [email protected], but I’m posting this to ask if I’m the only one experiencing this.

Thank you. 🙂

Prepare for Overload…

DiamondWolf
    Participant
    Topics: 15
    Replies: 57

There is always community content 😉

TwoCables
    TwoCables
    Kickstarter Backer

There is always community content 😉

You’re missing the whole point here. This optimization is needed. It’s a problem that needs to be fixed. I want to be able to play the official SP campaign from start to finish, not from start to level 14.

Prepare for Overload…

snyper
    Participant
    Topics: 11
    Replies: 9

System specs? Also, are you playing with screen space reflections?

TwoCables
    TwoCables
    Kickstarter Backer

System specs? Also, are you playing with screen space reflections?

No. Are you telling me this isn’t happening to you?

CPU: i5-2500K at 4.5 GHz
    CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Frio
    Motherboard: ASUS P8P67 EVO
    Memory: 8 GB G.SKILL 1866 MHz DDR3 9-11-9-29-1T
    Video card: MSI GTX 1070 Ti Gaming
    Sound card: Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium HD
    Monitor: AOC G2460PG
    PSU: Corsair RM550x
    Operating system: Windows 10

I had a GTX 780 and Windows 7 before making this thread, and it was happening exactly the same way when I had that card and that version of Windows. I decided for other reasons it was time to get a new card and to finally get Windows 10 (I got it for free by activating it with my Windows 7 Product Key). When this performance issue didn’t improve in the least bit with this upgrade, I made this thread.

Prepare for Overload…

Haunted Parrasp
    Haunted Parrasp
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 31
    Replies: 428

‘Kay, so I just finished Vulpecular on my insane run and while I did notice a teensy bit of choppiness in a few bigger fights it was nothing close to the lag you describe. Not sure off the top of my head what all my specs are but I know my CPU specs are close to yours (maybe very slightly faster) and my graphics card is a 1060, so it might be slightly worse.
    I’m also playing with everything turned to maximum including SSR.

I does look like your problem might be something more insidious than simple hardware/optimization or level chunking. Beyond that I have no idea, but maybe this information can help anyway. 😛
    Maybe worth noting I’ve noticed a little bit of similar choppiness in custom singleplayer levels, seeming to be when there are a lot of large chunks on screen at a time or a few chunks with very layered geometry. Although in those cases the choppiness wasn’t even at the same level as what I saw in Vulpecular.

Ship’s cat, MPSV Iberia
    Check out his original music @ http://vertigofox.bandcamp.com/

TwoCables
    TwoCables
    Kickstarter Backer

‘Kay, so I just finished Vulpecular on my insane run and while I did notice a teensy bit of choppiness in a few bigger fights it was nothing close to the lag you describe. Not sure off the top of my head what all my specs are but I know my CPU specs are close to yours (maybe very slightly faster) and my graphics card is a 1060, so it might be slightly worse. I’m also playing with everything turned to maximum including SSR.
    I does look like your problem might be something more insidious than simple hardware/optimization or level chunking. Beyond that I have no idea, but maybe this information can help anyway. 😛 Maybe worth noting I’ve noticed a little bit of similar choppiness in custom singleplayer levels, seeming to be when there are a lot of large chunks on screen at a time or a few chunks with very layered geometry. Although in those cases the choppiness wasn’t even at the same level as what I saw in Vulpecular.

Thank you, but I only experience performance issues when there are bots in the room with me, and it starts at Vulpecular and it goes all the way to the end of the game. The way it goes is: no bots, no lag. Bots, lag. No bots, no lag. Bots, lag. Some areas are better, but there’s still lag if there are bots in the room.

I get the same results even with all graphics settings set as low as they go and with a greatly reduced resolution. So, it has nothing to do with the chunking system or my graphics settings or anything like that.

Prepare for Overload…

Haunted Parrasp
    Haunted Parrasp
    Kickstarter Backer

That’s what I meant by insidious.

Ship’s cat, MPSV Iberia

Haunted Parrasp
    Haunted Parrasp
    Kickstarter Backer

That does seem to be the case for me on Vulpecular as well, but not nearly to the same extent. I didn’t mean to imply that similar choppiness = similar cause, but who knows how convoluted the code is under the hood and what could be linked together, eh? Even if it’s got nothing to do with it it could get somebody thinking in a different way.
    This is all what I meant when I said insidious.

A random thought, Vulpecular and the level after it both have obscene numbers of teleporting enemies in very nearly every encounter. Feel free to shoot me down if you know for sure it’s not the case, of course, but could something in the teleporter AI be causing a slowdown when there’s lots of teleporters in a map?

Ship’s cat, MPSV Iberia

Next Unread Topic:
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Previous Topic: This forum needs spam protection Next Topic: Xbox one release this Wednesday?