The discussion has moved over to Discord

Home Forums Other Games Waiting for Sonic Mania…

RSS Feed

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by D2Disciple D2Disciple 31 Aug 2017 @ 7:31am.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    D2Disciple
    D2Disciple
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 18
    Replies: 81

… Because it got pushed back two weeks for PC. Grr. Oh well, no better time than to go back to an old one that I had never gotten the chance to play – Sonic CD, from way back in 1993. Is it any good? Well, that depends on what you want out of a platformer. But it’s a unique experience that fans of the franchise should absolutely check out – and the Steam version is the first (official) work of Christian Whitehead, the man behind Sonic Mania.

My thoughts, and a shameless plug for my rarely-updated channel:

Miasmic
    Miasmic
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 3
    Replies: 59

Man, I have not seen this game in so long. I cant even estimate the amount of time I spent playing Sonic CD back in the day. Loved it.

Enjoyed the review, brother!

CHILLYBUS
    CHILLYBUS
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 61
    Replies: 173

I’ve never liked Sonic and even I’m stoked for Mania. Looks pretty great, late pushback is indicative the PC release might be buggy though.

Unrelated though this video is fucking great — top-notch production and great narration! Subbbskribbleddddddd

Miasmic
    Miasmic
    Kickstarter Backer

They just upped the Minimum Specs for it. Not really sure if that is indicative of anything, but the console versions have a few bugs. I’m more than happy to wait 2 weeks for them to pan things out for PC. I am a Star Citizen backer. Patience is my middle name xD.

Miasmic
    Miasmic
    Kickstarter Backer

Loving Mania so far. I just got to Hydrocity, I think they have done a fantastic job. It is a shame that SEGA has gone and screwed things up for these dev’s. The Steam reviews are being tanked because of Denuvo being added. The way they went about that was so shady. I can personally looked past it, because the game itself is simply great. But dammit SEGA really messed up. I just hope it doesn’t squander any future Sonic games on PC from these dev’s.

D2Disciple
    D2Disciple
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 18
    Replies: 81

Actually, I just made it to Hydrocity last night myself. I agree, and this might dethrone the original game for my favorite of the series (so long as the later levels keep up the great design of the earlier ones). I was worried the overuse of older stages would feel a bit exploitative (and I can’t shake that feeling entirely), but the level design itself is so darn good that it’s easy to look past. The only level I haven’t loved so far is Stardust Speedway, for the same reasons I didn’t much like it in CD, but it’s boss fight was so epic I instantly forgave it.

As far as the DRM, I really could care less. Yeah, it’s shady, and there’s an irony in delaying a game developed by hackers and homebrewers to implement DRM under the guise of “optimization,” but it’s really not *that* big of a deal. Denuvo was implemented in DOOM ’16 and Titanfall 2, two of my favorite games from last year, and I never even knew until I looked it up online. They also have already patched out the “always-online” requirement, so that pretty much takes care of the only real concern I had about the game (how long before the servers stopped letting me play). Is it a stupid move by Sega that likely didn’t save them a dime in sales and cause a PR nightmare? Absolutely! Do I feel like I got cheated out of 18 bucks for pre-ordering? Absolutely not. Sonic Mania is one of the best games I’m playing this year so far, so hey! No harm done, as I see it.

Next Unread Topic:
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

Forums are currently locked.

Previous Topic: Ship Upgrade Bug Next Topic: Old Threads Gone Lost