The discussion has moved over to Discord

Home Forums The Archive Overload Early Release Version Bug Reports and Questions Weapon Wheel Slo-Mo Exploit

RSS Feed
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    TerminalTerminal
    Participant
    Topics: 10
    Replies: 18

Currently there is an exploitable feature, where you hold down the weapon select button to put the game in slow motion, playing the entire round at 1/4th speed while releasing the button only to fire crusher/secondaries. This makes the robot projectiles very easy to dodge as you can move, turn, and even boost while in slow motion. Fun fact: reavers and guardians are still not dodgeable at 1/4th speed.

This video shows me getting a top score on Insane+ while playing a 9-minute round in 29 minutes 😛 . This is my only score that I obtained this way, so that I could demonstrate the procedure on video.

I suggest changing the weapon select feature to make it harder to abuse.

YoshimitsuYoshimitsu
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 57
    Replies: 421

Either removing the slo-mo (my choice) or disabling the ship controls while the wheels are active would do it I bet. If the slo-mo effect were gone but we retained control of the ship then I might actually mod extra buttons onto my joysticks so I could use the wheels.

birdseyebirdseye
    Participant
    Topics: 6
    Replies: 45

I’ve known about this for awhile, I just figured nobody would actually use it. What a boring way to play.

Also, you could have stopped before setting the record w/ an exploit. You only need like 1 minute to show how this feature can be abused. Good that you are admitting to it though.

sfischersfischer
    Overload Team
    Topics: 4
    Replies: 105

We’ll look into doing something about it. We’ve already got a couple of ideas – just need to see how easy they are to implement/how they feel in action. We just want to be careful to not screw over MP (no slowdown) or non-exploiting behavior by accident. That would be a mistake.

birdseyebirdseye
    Participant
    Replies: 45

I think eliminating the slomo is a must; Maybe you could leave it for Trainee or Rookie. Switching weapons is a skill that is done in real time in all FPS games.

From what I know the next version of Overload will allow us to bind any weapon/missile to specific keys. The selection wheel might be useful for newer players, but binding keys to specific weapons will always be faster. We should try to herd players to the best controls to start so they get used to them quickly.

mickey1mickey1
    Participant
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 16

Senior pilot’s Over 69 Upgrade?

CHILLYBUSCHILLYBUS
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 61
    Replies: 173

I’d assumed this had always been a thing? Just cheesy and isn’t particularly practical. +1 any option that is something along the lines of a 3-second max slowdown on trainee, losing .5 seconds per difficulty level. The only way PS4/X1 users can select weapons is through the wheel (right?), so it’s probably fair to keep it, just cap the length of time they have to figure things out. Maybe introduce a cooldown time on the slowdown or something, like 5 seconds before you get the effect again on hotshot, 10 on ace, etc,.? idk, tough to balance.

TerminalTerminal
    Participant
    Replies: 18

The only way PS4/X1 users can select weapons is through the wheel (right?), so it’s probably fair to keep it

Ah, I would’ve preferred they got rid of the wheel altogether, not realizing that console players need it. I think the next best solution is not to slow down the game at all. Aside from pausing the game CM players shouldn’t have any privileges (slow motion, aim assist) that they wouldn’t have in MP.

hurleybird
    Kickstarter Backer
    Replies: 41

In Doom they apply a heavy depth of field effect whenever you bring up the weapon switcher. I think this is done primarily artistically and to draw attention to the selection wheel, but it has the effect of obscuring the player’s view somewhat. Something similar but more aggressive, or even lerping in a Gaussian blur in screen space that affects everything except the selection wheel, could possibly help to alleviate things to some degree, especially when it comes to dodging projectiles.

krayzkrokkrayzkrok
    Kickstarter Backer
    Replies: 185

Yes, please don’t get rid of the weapon selection wheel, it’s quite useful particularly in single player. I think heavy blurring of the area outside the wheel seems like the simplest solution to this, or disabling primary and secondary weapon firing while the wheel is visible.

rapturraptur
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 29
    Replies: 134

The unblurred slo-mo in the video looks so cool though! Would it be enough to just lock the trajectory (rotational and translational) while the weapon wheel is up?

Next Unread Topic:
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

Forums are currently locked.

Previous Topic: Backfire Insane+ Infinite – 207 kills 294K points Next Topic: Thunderbolt overcharge is framerate-dependent