The discussion has moved over to Discord

Home Forums Overload Development What kind of maps to expect?

RSS Feed
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    WhitesharkWhiteshark
    Participant
    Topics: 14
    Replies: 61

I understand the game is going to be closer to d1/II than to d3. Does this mean we are stuck exploring mines, or will the maps be some other facilities too? What about getting outside the mines? I’m one of them who loved the outside canoyons in d3.

karx11erxkarx11erx
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 4
    Replies: 28

Yeah, I hope there will be outdoor areas, too. Too some extent these are even possible with the D1/D2 engine (there are some examples of D2X-XL levels having these). I guess the Overload engine should make it even easier to create them, as it allows to place geometry in levels as separate objects (your decals, I think the Unreal engine term for them would be prefabs). The big question is whether you could place buildings in outdoor areas and make these building explorable, too. I could image invisible portals teleporting you to a (sub) level representing the buildings internals. I could also imagine a way to make the outdoor area visible through windows from inside a building …

What do you guys say about it? Have you considered that already?

Selectah
    Participant
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 2

In agreement w/ Whiteshark & karx11erx here. The third outing in the series opened up a whole new area of exploration with the “outside canyons”. In fact, it is precisely the bigger canvas of D3 that makes it that much better. The mines are where it’s at, of course. Now *there’s* a slogan. 🙂 “The Mines Are Where It’s At”

WhitesharkWhiteshark
    Participant
    Topics: 14
    Replies: 61

I’ve now read the game is all about mines, which is ok. If Luke is reading this, I think people would love to see partly underwater maps. It opens a new dimension kinda like outside areas do! So even if water sounds like boring lava, we would love to see it in the mines!

SiriusSirius
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 9
    Replies: 406

If the base game doesn’t do outdoors, that doesn’t worry me too much; but it would be great to have “invisible” walls that peer out into skyboxes so community maps can still make outdoor areas with cubes. This has been done quite a few times with D2X-XL (example), and is probably where it shines brightest.

Best of all, it doesn’t necessarily require any fancy terrain tools. You just have to be a little, ummm… persistent with the cubing/decals. 🙂

• This reply was modified 4 years ago by SiriusSirius. Reason: Typo
    MAKAsaurusFLEX
    Participant
    Replies: 21

Anyone remember that multiplayer map that was basically a cube with all Fusion canons? Anyone remember the name?

DarkhorseDarkhorse
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 2
    Replies: 127

Personally, I’m looking forward to an engine where I can do this without having to bake textures the hard way.

Year of the Horse

Goznik
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 3
    Replies: 119

I also liked it that Descent3 had outdoors, but I would be totally fine without it here, it changes gameplay and it adds difficulties to the development.
    Maybe having windows with outside view would be cool.

DarkhorseDarkhorse
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 2
    Replies: 127

Like Sirius said, all you’d need are see-through walls and a skybox (which I know Unity supports by default). Wouldn’t be as easy to work with as the D3 height maps but that’s literally all you need to make high-quality outdoors possible. You can still fake it without any of those.

LotharBot
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 133

There are quite a few D1 maps that are basically simple structures with all fusion cannons.

The most popular in the old era was “ugh”.

My contribution to the genre was “tetrafusion”.

A surprisingly popular map that’s just fusion cannons with a reactor dead-center is “HAH”.

CDN_MerlinCDN_Merlin
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 15
    Replies: 243

I hope when MP is out that people make a bit more interesting levels than the ones that were constantly being played in D3. I got bored of always being forced to play Skybox, Abend or any of the other 2 levels being played. I always loved the different levels like Pyrogliphic.

baidarka
    Kickstarter Backer
    Replies: 2

I’m beyond excited to see that exterior elements won’t be factoring into the gameplay. Not that I didn’t enjoy them, but they felt like an unnecessary interruption in D3, while the few huge open spaces in D1 were an absolutely terrifying shift from the claustrophobic nature of the rest of the game. D3 required you to learn and adjust to a new skillset for outdoors, but D1’s open spaces challenged the habits you formed in the rest of the game, and that made them all the more anxiety-inducing.

Neither is wrong by any means, of course, but venturing into a black, yawning chasm or hellish lava chamber in D1 without an afterburner was far, far more terrifying than moseying outside with a sniper rifle in D3.

Goznik
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 3
    Replies: 119

I agree with baidarka, those dark huge spaces are burned into my brain.
    There is something terrifying in huge dark spaces underground.

Luke Schneider
    Overload Team
    Topics: 10
    Replies: 115

We haven’t ruled out being able to see a skybox, but we will definitely not have outdoor areas you can fly in, especially in the D3 sense. That’s not to say you couldn’t fake it with a custom level (have a large see-thru side that still has collision). Having huge open areas is nice for a change of pace, but it’s not something we want to overdo. Making them look nice (not overly-tiled/repetitious) is a challenge as well.

Luke

SiriusSirius
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 9
    Replies: 406

I totally get that, it’s mostly that from a map-maker’s perspective… sometimes I want to get adventurous. A skybox and collidable invisible wall would be enough to make me happy though – there isn’t much you can’t do with that if you’re determined enough.

(And I get pretty determined sometimes. :))

Gameplay-wise, though, I agree that D3’s areas got too big. Even in the D2X-XL level where I deliberately tried to fake D3-style terrain I kept the outdoor space very small by typical D3 standards.

• This reply was modified 4 years ago by SiriusSirius.
Next Unread Topic:
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)

Forums are currently locked.

Previous Topic: Common questions asked during the Kickstarter Next Topic: Avatars?!