The discussion has moved over to Discord

Home Forums Overload Multiplayer Why bother to have the afterburner in the game?

RSS Feed
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    speedracer
    Participant
    Topics: 2
    Replies: 2

it is very apparent the D1 crowd are the ones giving a majority of the “feedback”…. the game play seriously favors mousing while giving the joystick users the finger and the afterburner is such a liability in this game i find i die less if i completely remove it from my controls.

D2DiscipleD2Disciple
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 18
    Replies: 81

D1 doesn’t have an afterburner. And there are plenty of D1 players that still use Joystick. And Overload’s physics model feels very different than D1… What was the question?

In all seriousness, I think it was probably a design choice to make Overload feel better with M+K, because that’s what most people are playing with now. Very few people are using joysticks except old pros like you and me… Which is why I forced myself to learn how to play M+K and haven’t looked back since. Turns out, it was easy to transition, and feels really good – much better than D1-D3 with M+K (trust me, I’d know). Has it occurred to you that perhaps the Overload team settled on a physics model that would be accessible to new players who don’t have and are not willing to spend money on/learn how to use a joystick? Or maybe they didn’t want to adopt a model that was awkward and stiff for gamepad users, since Overload is being ported to consoles?

TwoCablesTwoCables
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 118
    Replies: 1474

D1 doesn’t have an afterburner. And there are plenty of D1 players that still use Joystick. And Overload’s physics model feels very different than D1… What was the question?

In all seriousness, I think it was probably a design choice to make Overload feel better with M+K, because that’s what most people are playing with now. Very few people are using joysticks except old pros like you and me… Which is why I forced myself to learn how to play M+K and haven’t looked back since. Turns out, it was easy to transition, and feels really good – much better than D1-D3 with M+K (trust me, I’d know). Has it occurred to you that perhaps the Overload team settled on a physics model that would be accessible to new players who don’t have and are not willing to spend money on/learn how to use a joystick? Or maybe they didn’t want to adopt a model that was awkward and stiff for gamepad users, since Overload is being ported to consoles?

Overload isn’t being ported to consoles. It was separately developed for them.

I don’t think he is saying that D1 has the Afterburner. I think he feels that Overload shouldn’t have Boost because D1 doesn’t have Afterburner. I think he is saying he feels Overload has to be as identical to D1 as possible, just as many people do.

it is very apparent the D1 crowd are the ones giving a majority of the “feedback”…. the game play seriously favors mousing while giving the joystick users the finger and the afterburner is such a liability in this game i find i die less if i completely remove it from my controls.

If you don’t like Boost, then just don’t use it. Problem solved. Does it really matter why it’s in the game?

Prepare for Overload…

Pilot
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 3
    Replies: 23

I have to say that I disagree pretty much completely with this post… For one I wouldn’t say that the game seriously favors mouse over joystick. There are some advantages with joystick but they aren’t major. Rather just slight advantages. Also joystick has some advantages over mouse. I myself have been playing with joystick for a long long time and the feel I have currently in this game with joystick is pretty nice and when playing in MP I haven’t really felt like I would be sacrificing anything with joystick. Going head to head against mouse user is not a problem.

Secondly about the afterburner… I wonder how is it liability? Are you now talking about the auto charge it causes against bots. If you are, you can disable it in settings and give it a dedicated button for example. If you have done this and still think it is a liability, then maybe you should just learn how to use it. I mean missiles are a liability also. Being next to a wall and shooting a falcon on it, you might actually kill yourself. So use it correctly and it is anything but a liability. Removing features because of not knowing how to use them does not make sense.

TwoCablesTwoCables
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 118
    Replies: 1474

Oh yeah, maybe he means the Smash Attack. If so, then the solution is even easier: just go into Options > Control Options > Advanced Options > Smash Combo Buttons: “Off”. Then, just don’t bind any key to Smash Attack. Once again, problem solved.

Smash Attack isn’t in MP either and as of right now, Revival Productions is saying it will never be in. So speedracer, if you’re just referring to Smash Attack, then it’s not a problem if you just disable it entirely. However, I recommend learning how to use it and how to take advantage of it. I think you will be surprised.

Prepare for Overload…

krayzkrokkrayzkrok
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 10
    Replies: 185

There are some pro-level joystick users who would disagree with you, speedracer. Besides, it’s possible to force turn limiting for mouse users in private matches if you really must. Throughout development the developers have put a ton of effort into making all controller methods feel good, so you’re jumping to conclusions for no reason.

As for the afterburner, I don’t really understand the criticism. As noted, you can simply not use it, but it doesn’t seem that hard to learn to be effective with it.

DanimalDanimal
    Overload Team
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 33

Ironically, the afterburner was a fan requested feature added to Descent ][. And personally, I’ve gotten so used to it I can’t image the game without one… You are “flying”, after all.

YoshimitsuYoshimitsu
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 57
    Replies: 421

Unless He’s talking about the fact that boost disables weapons? That makes it into a situational tool that requires good decision-making.

Hunter
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 6
    Replies: 69

I wouldn’t agree that Overload is mostly D1-esque or being entirely influenced by D1 pilots. Assuming you’ve spent time in the game, and looked close enough, you can clearly see it has flavors from all three of the Descent games. Maybe the flight model is most-similar to D1 but Overload introduces new mechanics that none of the previous games had.

speedracer
    Participant
    Replies: 2

I was saying the afterburner is useless as it is and is a liability to even have enabled because it cuts out weapons…. and yes, I’ve heard a lot of D1 players over the years complain about D2/D3 because they hated the afterburner. On top of this, it feels like the sliding controls are nerfed while using the afterburner. i mean if your going to hate on it that much, just take it out of the game… why pretend its a part of the game if its useless and just gets you killed for using it.

it disables a lot of depth of gameplay…. many of the energy weapons could be combined with a burst of afterburner to help connect hits…. well that style of play is completely dead.

as for the mouse play, again… why even enable joystick support but give mousers a very definite advantage, i loved the descent series but i don’t see myself playing this game as it just frustrates me to no end to see a mouser easily out turn and destroy me in combat because his mode of input was given a very distinct advantage.

between me and my brother we bought 5 licenses and if i could i would get a refund on them all…

DarkhorseDarkhorse
    Kickstarter Backer
    Replies: 127

Afterburner is meant for positioning, not attacking now. I wasn’t expecting that to happen but it has prevented a recurrence one of the… shall we say, less skillful parts of D2 play.

Just use it when you need to be somewhere else fast, rather than relying on it to fight.

I can’t comment on whether joysticks are viable because I stopped using them about 15 years ago. I’m not hearing complaints from any of the people I’ve been playing against in the MP beta though. Any of them… which surprises me.

yencil
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 7
    Replies: 32

I’ve found the joystick support to be pretty awesome! There are soooooo many settings to play with… love it.

Regarding the afterburner, I actually agree so far, I’ve found it kind of useless! I’m not usually in a situation where I know an enemy won’t appear and I feel safe not being able to fire my weapons. I could see it getting a little bit of a boost, even though I really disliked how powerful the afterburner was in D2. But here it does feel kind of weak… maybe there’s a middle ground?

Overall, I’m super happy with the flight mechanics, though, so even if the afterburner doesn’t change I’m happy. But just wanted to note I actually agree with the OP on that!

SiriusSirius
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 9
    Replies: 406

Ironically, the afterburner was a fan requested feature added to Descent ][.

Did not know that. Very interesting.

PhoilPhoil
    Participant
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 1

Bumping this slightly, because the fact that AB disables weapons drove me absolutely nuts when I first played it.

My flying style has always been very “joust” (read as: “D3-heavy-blasting-by-at-AB-and-trichord-while-firing-like-crazy”), and this mechanic really, REALLY destroys my style.

I LOVE Overload, and this is a bit of a nitpick, but just wondering if anyone else out there shares this frustration. Feels like I’m having to relearn multi.

DanimalDanimal
    Overload Team
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 33

I know what you’re saying, and I had a similar style in Descent where I could sometimes wrap the opponent up in laser fire depending on the level layout. So now, the weapon-fire-disable-while-boosting was most certainly to avoid that tactic. Will run it passed Luke to confirm. My minor annoyance now is sometimes ram into stuff without intending too! I know it can be disabled but where’s the fun in that? 🙂

Next Unread Topic:
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)

Forums are currently locked.

Previous Topic: Non-Twitter User here – Any possibility of getting a Steam Key? Next Topic: SO MUCH HYPE!