The discussion has moved over to Discord

Home Forums Overload Multiplayer Why bother to have the afterburner in the game?

RSS Feed

This topic contains 20 replies, has 16 voices, and was last updated by  Mick 13 Apr 2019 @ 5:19pm.

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author

Hunter
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 6
    Replies: 69

I suppose there could be a toggle that changes the AB settings for servers. This would offer both styles of play. I’m not that bothered though – I had the same problem as Foil when I was playing with the teaser, but after a while I got used to it and now I don’t even think about it.

dues
    Participant
    Topics: 4
    Replies: 17

I too think the disabled weps on AB is a little weird, but it’s something of a new mechanic. I’ve found myself tooling around with the fusion, loading it up and pulsing AB to cool it and then start over charging it, waiting to unload it full on others. The old mechanic was to charge, swap primary, then swap back. It saved energy.
    As far as the joystick support, I think they did a good job. The ramping is really great and I’m now learning on +2 +2 medium and off. Going full +4 is too squirrely, but +2 seems to be fully snappy in the full throw and controllable/aim-able in the small range.
    I’m sorry you’re having trouble with the game. It’s not really that easy to get good at. Don’t be so hard on yourself.

Danimal
    Danimal
    Overload Team
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 33

OK. I added this as a feature request in Mantis, No promises, but it’s in the system.

I suppose there could be a toggle that changes the AB settings for servers. This would offer both styles of play. I’m not that bothered though – I had the same problem as Foil when I was playing with the teaser, but after a while I got used to it and now I don’t even think about it.

hurleybird
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 6
    Replies: 41

Firing + AB just adds more dynamics to the game. Really miss it compared to D3. It also buffs energy weapons compared to hitscan a bit.

One fly in the ointment is that AB is currently the best way to cancel thunderbolt charging (I’m assuming you can also cancel it by changing weapons?). So if there’s a toggle, you get some divergent behaviour there.

PDXGeek
    PDXGeek
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 3
    Replies: 7

Personally I like having the AB, and yes – I can tri-chord. I also prefer D2 over D1 because of the faster game play and more diverse weapon sets. I miss being able to trap opponents in a corner utilizing the AB with a nice plasma spread. Not only did this cover the lag monster, it removed the outs.

I also agree with a response in this thread that I feel that Overload does a nice blend of all of the previous Descent games. I think the loss of shooting while using AB is a fair trade off and I certainly do not think using it is a disadvantage. In a multiplayer game with several players there is so much going on using the AB isn’t likely to give away position and allow someone to setup a trap. I am sure it will happen occasionally but I don’t think it will be consistent. In heads up play I actually like using the AB to fake out opponents that might be waiting around the corner. The AB can be used as a bait as well as a give away if the meta is played appropriately.

And yea, cancelling the TB charge, I hadn’t actually thought of that as a use. Charging the TB generates noise already so using the AB to cancel is pretty smart. I will have to test to see if this conserves the energy from the charge. I can’t recall if the energy drain happens during the charge or when the bolt is released. I hate that gun by the way. Always have, always will. I feel like a giant purple glove when someone is firing that thing at me. I am drawn to the bolt for some reason.

PDXGeek

Mick
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 2
    Replies: 3

Is this also so in the final game (please no!)?

If so it is no wonder I get killed everytime I play Overload. Because I use the AB *constantly* while fighting just like I do in D3 (where the Phoenix was my weapon of choice because of the speed and agility). If I cannot use weapons and the AB at the same time in Overload then… I just can’t believe this. Why then have the AB at all? Please say it is not true 🙁 – if it is you won’t see me playing Overload much.

Descent 3 had the best flight mechanics of all of the Descent series. That’s reason I’m still playing D3 in 2019. The faster turn rate in Overload I have no issue with, m almost used to now.

But an AB that disables weapons if used? What? No way! Try telling the F35 pilots that they cannot use weapons while using their AB. It hilarious!

Next Unread Topic:
Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)

Forums are currently locked.

Previous Topic: Non-Twitter User here – Any possibility of getting a Steam Key? Next Topic: SO MUCH HYPE!