The discussion has moved over to Discord

Home Forums Overload Development Why can't we roll the camera in the automap?

RSS Feed
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    YoshimitsuYoshimitsu
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 57
    Replies: 421

Losing the roll axis in the map is a bit confusing, and quite restricting. Every time I open it I want to bank my view in order to see a particular area but can’t. I end up having to wrestle the camera through a bunch of weird gyrations to see what I want.

TwoCablesTwoCables
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 118
    Replies: 1474

It’s worth mentioning too that you’re using a dual joystick setup. For mouse and keyboard, rolling isn’t needed. So, I agree with you that something needs to be done about this.

Prepare for Overload…

DarkwingDivaDarkwingDiva
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 29
    Replies: 346

I think from a newbie standpoint, the Automap is still a 3D space that you need to maneuver in, therefore it could be quite confusing for those starting out not to be able to roll the automap like they roll their ship.

CHILLYBUSCHILLYBUS
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 61
    Replies: 173

Roll sounds like it’d be a bit awkward if it’s implemented, and it’s awkward to do without. Something about the scaling of it? Maybe it’s a problem of moving the viewport as opposed to moving the mine within a window? I feel like there was roll in one of the Descents and I never used it because it would cause the whole mine to rotate offscreen.

No dogs in this fight, just spitballing lol

TwoCablesTwoCables
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 118
    Replies: 1474

Rolling was possible when the Automap was introduced to Overload. I was happy to see it because rolling exists in Descent’s Automap. Then at some point, rolling was taken out of the Automap in Overload and at first, I was quite unhappy about it. However, today, I don’t miss the ability to roll the Automap one bit due to the way the Automap is controlled – at least with the keyboard and mouse. If anything, taking out rolling has made the manipulation of the Automap easier for me.

I still wish that Pitching up and down could endlessly turn the Automap in those directions. Right now, there’s a limit to how far the Automap can be tumbled when Pitching up and down.

Regardless though, I admit that I would like to see the ability to Roll again.

Prepare for Overload…

YoshimitsuYoshimitsu
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 57
    Replies: 421

In D2X-XL (I can barely remember Descent without XL) the control for the automap felt like I was flying the ship around and through the map at higher speed with noclip enabled. It was possible to see connections between tunnels more clearly than we can get in Overload. It made it very easy to navigate because it felt pretty similar to the flight ingame, and didn’t require any relearning. The only major difference I recall was that in the map there was no inertia so you didn’t coast to a stop either moving or rotating. This gave better accuracy for viewing specific areas.

Next Unread Topic:
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

Forums are currently locked.

Previous Topic: Spicing up Impulse Next Topic: Could you prevent Powerups from de-spawning while they're in your view?