The discussion has moved over to Discord

Home Forums Community Hijinks and Random Stuff Yes it's an Honest to Goodness Lefty Sidewinder!

RSS Feed
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    YoshimitsuYoshimitsu
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 57
    Replies: 421

As many of you doubtless know, I love the Microsoft Sidewinder 3D Pro. I have never used another joystick that is anywhere near as good. This posed a problem for me as dual stick player because the sidewinder is a right-handed only joystick. I’ve been making-do with an old Saitek for my left hand but this Christmas I received a second 3D Pro. That gave me room to experiment with my older stick and I came up with this:
    Lefty Sidewinder
    I was able to clone the thumb buttons to the other side of the stick! The new buttons work perfectly so now I get to try out dual-sidewinders! 😀 Here’s hoping I like it…

maxxmaxx
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 15
    Replies: 34

That is very, very cool, Yoshimitsu! I have always been a joystick fan and wholeheartedly support any and all well done mods to joysticks and other older controllers as well. In fact, controller modding is sort of my hobby, albeit an expensive one. Glad I’m not the only person out here trying to change the world. Keep up the good work and see you in the mines! Maxx,out.

defconxdefconx
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 17
    Replies: 70

Awesome!

Why I do not remember those buttons being there, I do not know. I must have had a lower model version.

Played a shit ton of Fury^3 with that thing until days disappeared and I realized nobody cared and I’d wasted probably several weeks of my life to beat a game that didn’t even have cinematic sequences as a reward for winning. I mean F3 wasn’t that bad. It had an awesome ship. It’s just not Descent.

Wow, tangent alert. Sorry about that.

COOL JOYSTICK!

YoshimitsuYoshimitsu
    Kickstarter Backer

Thanks guys! After an evening of play, I am delighted with the result! The sidewinder is much more responsive for movement than the Saitek stick and my modded buttons work beautifully. The only issue is the twist axis which I don’t use in that hand and throws me off now and then. I’m sure I’ll get used to it though.

My next modding idea is to copy those base buttons up to the stick for my pinky and ring-finger. 8 extra controls (4 per hand) could come in mighty handy.

Why I do not remember those buttons being there, I do not know. I must have had a lower model version.

There was a lower model of the joystick that looked like this:
    SW 2D
    3 axis 2 button, I think I saw Dan using one during the 24 hour livestream. My sticks are 4 axis, 8 button, and 1 hat switch, much more usable for 6dof.

defconxdefconx
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 17
    Replies: 70

In fact, I must have had the one with the hat switch, because I remember that dang thing feeling really fragile and hollow.

I must have used those buttons for something! Probably afterburner and flare?!

I know what you mean about having a surprising slide axis!

scott
    Participant
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 8

Nice job! What action/movememt have you assigned the left hand twist?…

YoshimitsuYoshimitsu
    Kickstarter Backer

I don’t actually use the left hand twist axis. I’ve tried it for a variety of things like slide up/down, weapon selection, and guidebot menu. Anything I put on there either feels wrong or actively interferes with my play so I just leave it blank.

Next Unread Topic:
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

Forums are currently locked.

Previous Topic: Early Access drop #8.5 now available Next Topic: 8.5 feedback