The discussion has moved over to Discord

Home Forums Community Hijinks and Random Stuff You're in the chat but you don't even know it. Here's how to control that.

RSS Feed
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    TwoCablesTwoCables
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 118
    Replies: 1474

I’ve noticed a very minor but common problem: some people (including Revival Productions team members) appear to be in the chat without being aware of it. If you want to have control over whether you appear in the chat, then click your username in the chat dashboard/panel thingy found at the bottom of your browser window (the one that says “Chat (#)” on it) and choose ‘Offline’. This replaces the dashboard/panel thingy with a power button icon. To reappear in the chat, just click the power button icon and you’re right back in.

This setting is saved, even if you log out and close your browser. It also remembers your last Status. So, if you choose ‘Busy’ or ‘Idle’ at some point before choosing ‘Offline’, then clicking the power button icon to go back into the chat will put you back to either ‘Busy’ or ‘Idle’ – just like how you’d go back to showing as ‘Available’ if that was your last Status.

Prepare for Overload…

StatiCStatiC
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 6
    Replies: 89

Thanks! It bothered me that it always updated the chat on every page request. When I want to chat I would rather just go to the dedicated chat page.

TwoCablesTwoCables
    Kickstarter Backer
    Topics: 118
    Replies: 1474

You’re welcome!

Yeah, I have mixed feelings about the dashboard or panel or whatever they call it. On one hand, it’s very annoying and completely unnecessary. On the other, it can provide the very nice convenience of being able to chat from any page on this site – but how often does anyone do that? Personally, if I’m on a different page than the chat, then I’m either reading or typing. Besides, if I really want to be in the chat while I’m on other pages on this site, then I can just keep the chat open in a separate tab.

I even wrote a CSS script to get rid of the distracting power button icon for when I’m not interested in being in the chat. So, I’ll select ‘Offline’ and then enable this script which gets rid of the dashboard thing altogether. Or, and here’s why I’m bringing this up: I will sometimes just enable my script after going into the chat. That way, I can freely browse the site in a different tab without the chat dashboard/panel thingy being annoying. Sure, I need to rely on the tab’s title to know if a new chat entry is waiting, but at least I don’t have to worry about having to minimize the dashboard or panel thingy.

Prepare for Overload…

Next Unread Topic:
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

Forums are currently locked.

Previous Topic: Another QA! Next Topic: Camera Shake/ Physics: fun vs realism?